CALL TO ACTION
The Environmental Impact Report (EIR) is in preliminary stages. We have been informed that the Planning Department expects to issue a Mitigated Negative Declaration (MND), which means that they will cut corners and approve the project WITHOUT a full Environmental Impact Report (EIR). Please send a letter expressing your concerns, urging a full EIR.
ENVIRONMENTAL - SEND TO: CPC.2700SLOAT.ENV@sfgov.org
Attention: Kei Zushi, Senior Environmental Planner
GENERAL comments on issues other than environmental concerns can be sent to:
Attention: Christy Alexander, Senior Planner
Thank you to everyone that supported our May 4th, 2022 action and sent a letter for the first round
of comments on the EIR.
COPY AND PASTE
Subject: Re EIR and MND for 2700 Sloat Blvd., CASE No. 2021-012382ENV
Dear Mr. Zushi -
I am writing about my concern for the proposed development at 2700 Sloat Blvd. The magnitude of the proposal raises significant concerns about the impact to the Neighborhood. If this project is approved, it will become a standout of the City's choosing the side of developers over the well-being of its current residents. Specifically, I am concerned about the environmental impact and believe that a full Environmental Impact Report (EIR) is warranted.
1. Soil Safety - The site was formerly on several gas stations and auto repairs shops. To ensure any exposed earth is safe for residents and pets, the site should undergo soil remediation.
2. Liquefaction - The Alquist-Priolo Earthquake fault zoning maps places this hi-rise about 2 blocks from the San Andreas fault line and in the liquefaction and tidal wave zone. The site foundation will sit on sand. How will an earthquake safe foundation be constructed without any solid ground to rest on?
3. Tsunami Zone - Abuts the Parcel at 46th Avenue. Tsunamis are unpredictable, could extend well past the zone line and could cause intense damage and "draw back," which is an unusual lowering of ocean water exposing the sea floor.
4. Shadow Impact - The scale of this project will increase shadow casting over a significant area. This will disrupt the ecology of the surrounding area. I request a full assessment and report of the impact of shadow casting on the surrounding area.
5. Light Pollution - Excessive or poor use of artificial outdoor light, and it disrupts the natural patterns of wildlife, contributes to the increase in carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere, disrupts human sleep, and obscures the stars in the night sky.
6. Noise Pollution - What precautions will be made to ensure noise from the machinery in and around the complex is minimized?
7. Wind Impact - The Sunset Parkside neighborhood has significant windy weather for months each year. Because the high winds will be driven down towards the streets when they contact the building, design for minimizing wind impact on the streets must be addressed.
8. Bird Safety - The height of the building will stand out in the area as a threat to local and migratory birds. Glare from the excess of windows during daylight, and light from interior and exterior lights during night time, may significantly disrupt flight patterns and be disorienting to birds.
9. Soundscapes and Acoustic Environment - This building will create reverberation and adversely alter a rare and healthy soundscape, impacting surrounding residents and animals housed at the SF ZOO.
10. Endangered Species - The site is within protected zones for a number of endangered species. What provisions are in place to avoid damaging the fragile local ecosystems?
11. From papers submitted to the Planning Department it has been disclosed that one or more Diesel engines will be placed onsite. Where will the fuel be stored and what precautions will be taken to ensure that there is no risk from leakage to residents and neighbors?
A Mitigated Negative Declaration (MND), should that be approved, will cut corners on the serious issues and environmental threats this project creates. For these reasons I urge you to find that this project warrants a full Environmental Impact Report (EIR).
Thank you -